YAPC::NA 2008 in Chicago

I have proudly attended YAPC::NA 2008 in Chicago and enjoyed that.
YAPC::NA is original yet another Perl conference since 1999.
You can see more my photos in Chicago on flickr.

YAPC::NA 2008 Pre-Conference Dinner


Ingy bring me to the restaurant by his motorcycle. ingy++

YAPC::NA 2008 (Day 1) Get it started


I attended every YAPC::Asias which were exciting and held three times in Tokyo. However, this is my first time to come to YAPC::NA.

YAPC::NA 2008 (Day 2) Just two seconds to generate .pm by WSST


I gave my first talk titled:
WSS - WebService Specification Schema and LL libraries
I still used JavaScript-powered S6 presentation tool with one-click translation feature for my slides.

YAPC::NA 2008 (Day 2) "Moose" by Stevan Little


Stevan Little gave a general talk about Moose:
Moose - A post modern object system for Perl 5
Moose is getting much popular also in Japan this year.

YAPC::NA 2008 (Day 2) "use the Moose;" by Ingy


Ingy döt Net gave an interesting talk about:
Perl and JavaScript
I like teh incredible the.pm module.

YAPC::NA 2008 (Day 3) Lightning Talks!


I gave another talk titled:
DOM manipulation by Gainer/Wiimote over HTTP.
Before starting presentation, I had a technical trouble with my real device gadgets, however I made it.
I'll give this talk again at YAPC::Europe 2008 in Copenhagen, Denmark.

YAPC::NA 2008 (Day 3) Improvised Lightning Talks


This is a brand-new style of lightning talk.
It's absolutely fantastic that Ingy's one thing which he'd never do in Perl.
He's true entertainer!

YAPC::NA 2008 is over


I appreciate the organizer Josh McAdams's hospitality. jmcada++

Differences between YAPC::NA and YAPC::Asia


I could find some of interesting differences between the conference and other conferences in Japan including YAPC::Asia.
 
* More foods and drinks
YAPC::Asia started to provide lunch and snacks this year.
Here are free drinks and delightful fruits provided in YAPC::NA.
 
* More interruptions
I think it's not common for Japanese audiences to interrupt speaker's talk to ask something. Dan-san could be probably only Japanese hacker who can do that? ;-)
 
* More chats in hall
Not only few people here prefer to stay at entrance to chat with another perl hackers rather than just listen presentations.
 
* More BOFs
I don't see such concurrent meetings which occur naturally in Japan.
 
* More women
Josh said that there were 17 women in second day's conference dinner.
It's definitely rare that we could have two-digit numbers of women attend such technical conference in Japan.
 
* Less technological previews, more productive solutions
Personally, I love talks about cutting-edge technologies, future glances, ingenious topics etc. We can see such "I-Made-It!"-styled talks in Japan.
Here, more speakers provide solutions for attendees' daily production.
 
* Few Japanese attendees
I was only Japanese attendee come from Japan.
I hope more Japanese hackers could come to give their techs out for global.
 

My reports written in Japanese

* YAPC::NA 2008 Pre-Conference Dinner
* YAPC::NA 2008 (Day 1) Get it started
* YAPC::NA 2008 (Day 2) Just two seconds to generate .pm by WSST
* YAPC::NA 2008 (Day 2) "Moose" by Stevan Little
* YAPC::NA 2008 (Day 2) "use the Moose;" by Ingy
* YAPC::NA 2008 (Day 3) Lightning Talks!
* YAPC::NA 2008 (Day 3) Improvised Lightning Talks
* YAPC::NA 2008 was over
* YAPC::NA 2008 summary report